Thursday, August 04, 2005

Agnes Law, Conductor and Founding Member (Currently on Study Leave)

Hi, I'm a full time social worker. I coordinate family life theatre projects in which I use drama to share with people on family life messages. I also conduct playback theater workshops to help students and/ or families to share their family stories and watching them played out on stage. It is very rewarding to see participants open up and share their struggles at home and through this creative process to enable the individual/ the group to move forward and make some informed decisions for their lives. So how did I get initiated into Playback Theatre? I got bored with the present ways of doing social work. i was looking for creative ways to engage people. I chanced upon a website which told me about playback and it got me interested. I spent 10 days in a summer course on Playback Theatre in New Zealand in 2002 and I was totally won over. I knew instantly that Singapore has to see Playback! Hence, I brought my trainer, Beverly Hosking down the same year and conducted a three day workshop in Singapore. Playback allows me the freedom to engage my creativity and spontaniety to work with people but yet at the same time, it teaches me to be sensitive and to deal with differences in life. In order to de-stress, I chill out by taking naps, reading and listening to jazz. I love to watch arts performances whenever I can afford the extra bucks. :)

No comments: